- Code of Virginia
- Virginia Administrative Code
- Constitution of Virginia
- Uncodified Acts
- RIS Users (account required)
- Bills & Resolutions
- Bill Summaries
- Reports to the General Assembly
House and Senate documents
Developed and maintained by the Division of Legislative Automated Systems.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:
1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding in Article 1 of Chapter 3 of Title 40.1 a section numbered 40.1-28.7:4 as follows:
§ 40.1-28.7:4. Release of employee's personal identifying information.
A. As used in this section, "personal identifying information" means any of the following items of information about a current or former employee: home telephone number, mobile telephone number, email address, shift times, or work schedule.
B. An employer shall not, unless an exemption described in subsection C applies, be required to release, communicate, or distribute to a third party any current or former employee's personal identifying information.
C. The provisions of subsection B shall not apply to a release, communication, or distribution of personal identifying information that is:
1. Required pursuant to any applicable provision of federal law that preempts the provisions of this section; or
2. Ordered by a court of competent jurisdiction.