9VAC25-91-220. Resources available.
A. This chapter (Facility and Aboveground Storage Tank (AST) Regulation (9VAC25-91)) does not contain all requirements for aboveground storage tanks in Virginia. The resources listed in this section have been included to assist with complying with requirements of this regulation. Section 36-99.6 of the Code of Virginia requires the Board of Housing and Community Development to incorporate, as part of the building code, regulations adopted and promulgated by the State Water Control Board governing the installation, repair, upgrade, and closure of aboveground storage tanks. Portions of this chapter are incorporated into the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC). The USBC referenced model codes and standards apply as promulgated by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development.
B. The following documents or portions thereof are resources referenced or provide guidance in this chapter:
1. Underwriters Laboratories Standards:
a. Specification 142, "Steel Aboveground Tanks for Flammable and Combustible Liquids," Ninth Edition;
b. Standard 2245, "Standard for Below-Grade Vaults for Flammable Liquid Storage Tanks," Second Edition, December 28, 2006;
2. American Petroleum Institute (API) Standards:
a. API 12B: Specification 12B October 2008, "Specification for Bolted Tanks for Storage of Production Liquids," Fifteenth Edition;
b. API 12D: Specification 12D, October 2008, "Specification for Field Welded Tanks for Storage of Production Liquids," Eleventh Edition;
c. API 12F: Specification 12F, October 2008, "Specification for Shop Welded Tanks for Storage of Production Liquids," Twelfth Edition;
d. API 575; May 2005, "Inspection of Existing Atmospheric and Low-pressure Storage Tanks," Second Edition, May 2005;
e. API 620: Standard 620, February 2008, "Design and Construction of Large, Welded, Low-Pressure Storage Tanks," includes Addendum 1 (2009), Addendum 2 (2010), and Addendum 3 (2012), Eleventh Edition;
f. API 650: Standard 650, June 2001, "Welded Tanks for Oil Storage," Eleventh Edition;
g. API 651: Recommended Practice 651, January 2007, "Cathodic Protection for Above Ground Petroleum Storage Tanks," Third Edition;
h. API 652: Recommended Practice 652, October 2005, "Lining of Aboveground Petroleum Storage Tank Bottoms," Third Edition;
i. API 2350: Recommended Practice 2350, January 2005, "Overfill Protection for Petroleum Storage Tanks," Third Edition;
3. Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code (SWFPC), (March 1, 2011); and
4. Steel Tank Institute (STI), Standards and Recommended Practices:
a. STI Standard for Diked Aboveground Storage Tanks F911;
b. STI Standard for Aboveground Tanks with Integral Secondary Containment F921, revised July 2011;
c. STI FireguardTM Specifications for Fireguard protected Aboveground Storage Tanks F941.
C. Standards and codes listed in subsection B of this section are specifically authorized for use by the board. Other standards and codes may be used if specifically authorized by the board.
D. This chapter refers to resources that may be used to comply with provisions of the regulations. These resources are available through the Internet; therefore, in order to assist the regulated community, the resource reference document owner's contact information, including uniform resource locator or Internet address is provided for each of the resource references listed in this section.
1. Underwriter's Laboratories, http://ulstandards.ul.com/access-standards/, Underwriter's Laboratories, 2600 NW Lake Road, Camas, WA 98607-8542.
2. American Petroleum Institute, http://api.org, American Petroleum Institute, 1220 L Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005-4070.
3. National Association of Corrosion Engineers, http://nace.org, National Association of Corrosion Engineers, 1440 South Creek Drive, Houston, TX USA 77084-4906.
4. Code of Federal Regulations, http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/.
5. Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/index.php/va-building-codes/building-and-fire-codes/regulations/uniform-statewide-building-code-usbc.html, Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development, Main Street Centre, 600 East Main Street, Suite 300, Richmond, VA 23219.
6. Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code, http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/StateBuilding CodesandRegulations/PDFs/2009/Code%20-%20SFPC.pdf, Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development, Main Street Centre, 600 East Main Street, Suite 300, Richmond, VA 23219.
7. Steel Tank Institute, www.steeltank.com, Steel Tank Institute, 944 Donata Court, Lake Zurich, IL 60047.
Derived from Virginia Register Volume 14, Issue 18, eff. June 24, 1998; Errata, 14:23 VA.R 3682 August 3, 1998; amended, Virginia Register Volume 31, Issue 26, eff. November 1, 2015.