9VAC25-91-100. Registration requirements.
A. Section 62.1-44.34:19.1 of the Code of Virginia requires an operator of a facility located within the Commonwealth with an aggregate aboveground storage capacity of more than 1,320 gallons of oil or an operator of an individual AST located within the Commonwealth with a storage capacity of more than 660 gallons of oil to register such facility or AST with the board and with the local director or coordinator of emergency services unless otherwise specified within this chapter.
B. Although the term "operator" includes a variety of persons who may share joint responsibility for compliance with this chapter, in fixing responsibility for compliance with the registration requirements, the board shall look first to the owner or a duly authorized representative of the facility or AST.
C. A duly authorized representative may submit the registration on the owner's behalf.
1. A person is a duly authorized representative only if:
a. The authorization is made in writing by the owner and indicates that the representative has signatory authority for the registration;
b. The authorization specifies either an individual or a position having responsibility for the overall operation of the regulated facility or activity (e.g., the plant manager, the operator of a facility or an AST, the superintendent, or a position of equivalent responsibility), or specifies an individual or a position having overall responsibility for environmental matters for the facility or company. A duly authorized representative thus may be either a named individual or any individual occupying a named position; and
c. The written authorization is submitted to the department along with the registration form.
2. Changes to authorization. If an authorization previously submitted is no longer accurate because a different individual or position has assumed responsibility for the overall operation of the facility or for environmental matters, a new authorization satisfying the requirements shall be submitted to the department prior to or together with any reports or information signed by that duly authorized representative.
3. Certification. Any person signing a registration document shall make the following certification:
"I certify under penalty of law that this document and all attachments were prepared under my direction or supervision in accordance with a system designed to ensure that qualified personnel properly gathered and evaluated the information submitted. Based on my inquiry of the person or persons who manage the system, or those persons directly responsible for gathering the information, the information submitted is, to the best of my knowledge and belief, true, accurate, and complete. I am aware that there are significant penalties for submitting false information, including the possibility of fines and imprisonment for knowing violations."
D. The owner or a duly authorized representative of a new facility or AST, a converted facility or AST, a facility or AST brought back into use after permanent closure, or a facility or AST whose title is transferred (change of ownership) shall register such facility or AST with the board and local director or coordinator of emergency services within 30 days after being brought into use or when title is transferred.
E. Registration shall include the following information and other information that may be required if approved by the board:
1. Facility and AST owner and operator information (e.g., name, address, and phone numbers);
2. Facility information (e.g., name, type, address, contact person and phone numbers, and aggregate storage capacity);
3. Tank and piping information (e.g., storage capacity, product stored, type of design and construction standards);
4. Other information that may be reasonably requested by the board; and
5. Owner certification of information.
F. The owner or a duly authorized representative of the facility or AST shall renew the registration required by this section every five years or whenever title to the facility or AST is transferred (change of ownership), whichever occurs first.
G. A facility or AST installed after June 24, 1998, including an AST or facility operated by the federal government, shall not be registered without either (i) a review performed by the department of the permits, inspections, and certification of use required in accordance with the provisions of the Uniform Statewide Building Code and obtained by the owner or a duly authorized representative from the local code officials or their designee or (ii) an inspection by the department. In the case of a regulated AST operated by the Commonwealth, the Department of General Services shall function as the local code official in accordance with § 36-98.1 of the Code of Virginia.
Derived from Virginia Register Volume 14, Issue 18, eff. June 24, 1998; amended, Virginia Register Volume 31, Issue 26, eff. November 1, 2015.