A. The department may offer the land applicator certification examinations on request and will schedule an examination at least once per year. The examinations shall require a demonstration of the ability to ensure that biosolids will be land applied in compliance with the requirements of this regulation. The department may limit the number of applicants taking the examination based upon available examination space.
B. Applicants for a certificate of competence shall achieve a passing score on each part of the land applicator certification examination to become eligible for certification. If applicants receive a passing score on any part of the examination they will only be retested on the remaining parts.
C. The examinations for qualified applicants for a certificate of competence in accordance with this regulation shall address the elements listed below.
1. General understanding of biosolids treatment processes and biosolids characteristics;
2. Basic principles of soils, agriculture, and silviculture;
3. Public health protection concepts;
4. Land application concepts and site management and operations;
5. Occupational safety and health protection concepts; and
6. Land application training and certification regulatory requirements, and requirements of other land application related laws, regulations, and incentive programs.
D. An individual who is unable to take an examination at the scheduled time shall notify the department at least five days prior to the date of the examination; such individual may reapply for an examination. The department may consider accepting notice of less than five days due to individual hardship situations on a case-by-case basis. Failure to notify the department may require the individual to submit a new application and payment of fees in accordance with 9VAC25-32-710.
E. The department shall establish acceptable passing scores for the examinations based on the department's determination of the level of examination performance required to show minimal acceptable competence.
F. All applicants shall be notified of results in writing within 60 days of the completion of the examinations.
G. A certificate renewal date will be established and provided to the certified land applicator.
§ 62.1-44.15 of the Code of Virginia.
Derived from Virginia Register Volume 24, Issue 6, eff. January 1, 2008.