9VAC25-31-900. Modification of POTW pretreatment programs.
A. Either the director or a POTW with an approved POTW pretreatment program may initiate program modification at any time to reflect changing conditions at the POTW. Program modification is necessary whenever there is a significant change in the operation of a POTW pretreatment program that differs from the information in the POTW's submission, as approved under 9VAC25-31-830.
B. Substantial modifications defined. Substantial modifications include:
1. Modifications that relax POTW legal authorities (as described in 9VAC25-31-800 F 1, except for modifications that directly reflect a revision to this part or to 40 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter N, and are reported pursuant to subsection D of this section;
2. Modifications that relax local limits, except for the modifications to local limits for pH and reallocations of the maximum allowable industrial loading of a pollutant that do not increase the total industrial loadings for the pollutant, which are reported pursuant to subsection D of this section. Maximum allowable industrial loading means the total mass of a pollutant that all industrial users of a POTW (or a subgroup of industrial users identified by the POTW) may discharge pursuant to limits developed under 9VAC25-31-770 C;
3. Changes to the POTW's control mechanism as described in 9VAC25-31-800 F 1 c;
4. A decrease in the frequency of self-monitoring or reporting required of industrial users;
5. A decrease in the frequency of industrial user inspections or sampling by the POTW;
6. Changes to the POTW's confidentiality procedures; and
7. Other modifications designated as substantial modifications by the director on the basis that the modification could have a significant impact on the operation of the POTW's pretreatment program, could result in an increase in pollutant loadings at the POTW, or could result in less stringent requirements being imposed on industrial users of the POTW.
C. Approval procedures for substantial modifications.
1. The POTW shall submit to the department a statement of the basis for the desired program modification, a modified program description (see 9VAC25-31-810 B), or such other documents the director determines to be necessary under the circumstances.
2. The director shall approve or disapprove the modification based on the requirements of 9VAC25-31-800 F and using the procedures in 9VAC25-31-830 B through F, except as provided in subdivisions C 3 and C 4 of this section. The modification shall become effective upon approval by the director.
3. The director need not publish a notice of decision under 9VAC25-31-830 E provided (i) the notice of request for approval under 9VAC25-31-830 B 1 states that the request will be approved if no comments are received by a date specified in the notice; (ii) no substantive comments are received; and (iii) the request is approved without change.
D. Approval procedures for nonsubstantial modifications.
1. The POTW shall notify the department of any nonsubstantial modification at least 45 days prior to implementation by the POTW in a statement similar to that provided for in subdivision C 1 of this section.
2. Within 45 days after the submission of the POTW's statement, the director shall notify the POTW of his decision to approve or disapprove the nonsubstantial modification.
3. If the director does not notify the POTW within 45 days of his decision to approve or deny the modification or to treat the modification as substantial under subdivision B 7 of this section, the POTW may implement the modification.
E. Incorporation in permit. All modifications shall be incorporated into the POTW's VPDES permit upon approval. The permit will be modified to incorporate the approved modification in accordance with 9VAC25-31-400.
§ 62.1-44.15 of the Code of Virginia; § 402 of the federal Clean Water Act; 40 CFR Parts 122, 123, 124, 403, and 503.
Derived from Virginia Register Volume 12, Issue 20, eff. July 24, 1996; amended, Virginia Register Volume 14, Issue 9, eff. March 1, 1998; Errata, 14:17 VA.R. 2477 May 11, 1998; amended, Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 9, eff. February 15, 2002; Volume 28, Issue 10, eff. February 15, 2012.