9VAC25-31-110. Signatories to permit applications and reports.
A. All permit applications shall be signed as follows:
1. For a corporation: by a responsible corporate officer. For the purpose of this section, a responsible corporate officer means: (i) a president, secretary, treasurer, or vice-president of the corporation in charge of a principal business function, or any other person who performs similar policy-making or decision-making functions for the corporation, or (ii) the manager of one or more manufacturing, production, or operating facilities, provided the manager is authorized to make management decisions that govern the operation of the regulated facility, including having the explicit or implicit duty of making major capital investment recommendations, and initiating and directing other comprehensive measures to assure long-term environmental compliance with environmental laws and regulations; the manager can ensure that the necessary systems are established or actions taken to gather complete and accurate information for permit application requirements; and where authority to sign documents has been assigned or delegated to the manager in accordance with corporate procedures;
2. For a partnership or sole proprietorship: by a general partner or the proprietor, respectively; or
3. For a municipality, state, federal, or other public agency: by either a principal executive officer or ranking elected official. For purposes of this section, a principal executive officer of a federal agency includes: (i) the chief executive officer of the agency, or (ii) a senior executive officer having responsibility for the overall operations of a principal geographic unit of the agency.
B. All reports required by permits, and other information requested by the board shall be signed by a person described in subsection A of this section, or by a duly authorized representative of that person. A person is a duly authorized representative only if:
1. The authorization is made in writing by a person described in subsection A of this section;
2. The authorization specifies either an individual or a position having responsibility for the overall operation of the regulated facility or activity such as the position of plant manager, operator of a well or a well field, superintendent, position of equivalent responsibility, or an individual or position having overall responsibility for environmental matters for the company. (A duly authorized representative may thus be either a named individual or any individual occupying a named position.); and
3. The written authorization is submitted to the department.
C. If an authorization under subsection B of this section is no longer accurate because a different individual or position has responsibility for the overall operation of the facility, a new authorization satisfying the requirements of subsection B of this section must be submitted to the department prior to or together with any reports, or information to be signed by an authorized representative.
D. Any person signing a document under subsection A or B of this section shall make the following certification:
"I certify under penalty of law that this document and all attachments were prepared under my direction or supervision in accordance with a system designed to assure that qualified personnel properly gather and evaluate the information submitted. Based on my inquiry of the person or persons who manage the system, or those persons directly responsible for gathering the information, the information submitted is, to the best of my knowledge and belief, true, accurate, and complete. I am aware that there are significant penalties for submitting false information, including the possibility of fine and imprisonment for knowing violations."
E. Electronic reporting. If documents described in subsection A or B of this section are submitted electronically by or on behalf of the VPDES-regulated facility, any person providing the electronic signature for such documents shall meet all relevant requirements of this section and shall ensure that all of the relevant requirements of Part XI (9VAC25-31-950 et seq.) of this chapter and 40 CFR Part 3 (including, in all cases, 40 CFR Part 3 Subpart D).
§ 62.1-44.15 of the Code of Virginia; § 402 of the Clean Water Act; 40 CFR Parts 122, 123, 124, 403, and 503.
Derived from Virginia Register Volume 12, Issue 20, eff. July 24, 1996; amended, Virginia Register Volume 17, Issue 13, eff. April 11, 2001; Volume 33, Issue 22, eff. July 26, 2017.