9VAC25-210-380. Modifications to surface water withdrawal permits.
A. In addition to the requirements of 9VAC25-210-180 B, VWP permits for surface water withdrawals may be modified when any of the following developments occur:
1. When the board determines that minimum instream flow levels resulting directly from the permittee's withdrawal of surface water are detrimental to the instream beneficial use, existing at the time of permit issuance, and the withdrawal of surface water should be subject to further net limitations or when an area is declared a surface water management area pursuant to §§ 62.1-242 through 62.1-253 of the Code of Virginia, during the term of the VWP permit.
2. Significant changes to the location of the surface water withdrawal system are proposed such that the Department of Environmental Quality determines a new review is warranted due to the potential effect of the surface water withdrawal to existing beneficial uses of the new location.
3. Changes to the permitted project or the surface water withdrawal, including increasing the storage capacity for the surface water withdrawal, that propose an increase in the maximum permitted withdrawal volumes or rate of withdrawal or that cause more than a minimal change to the instream flow requirements with potential to result in a detrimental effect to existing beneficial uses.
4. A revision to the purpose of the surface water withdrawal that proposes to include a new use or uses that were not identified in the permit application or a modification of the existing authorized use or uses such that the use description in the permit application and permit is no longer applicable. Examples of uses include, but are not limited to agricultural irrigation, golf course irrigation, public water supply, manufacturing, and electricity generation.
B. Minor modifications may be made in the VWP permit for surface water withdrawals without following the public involvement requirements of 9VAC 25-210-140, 9VAC 25-210-160, or 9VAC 25-210-170. Any request for a minor modification shall be in writing and shall contain the facts or reasons supporting the request. The board may request additional information as necessary to review a request for a minor modification. Minor modifications may only occur in accordance with 9VAC25-210-180 E and the following items specific to surface water withdrawals:
1. Minor changes to the location of the surface water withdrawal system, as determined by DEQ, and thus not warranting a new review of the effect of the surface water withdrawal to existing beneficial uses.
2. Allow for temporary changes to instream flow requirements or operational permit requirements to address situations such as surface water withdrawal system improvements, environmental studies, or as otherwise determined appropriate by DEQ.
3. Changes to the permitted project, including increasing the storage capacity for the surface water withdrawal, that do not cause more than a minimal change to the instream flow requirements and do not have the potential to result in a detrimental effect to existing beneficial uses.
4. Changes to the monitoring methods or locations of monitoring sites for instream flow requirements or surface water withdrawal requirements.
§ 62.1-44.15 of the Code of Virginia; § 401 of the Clean Water Act (33 USC § 1251 et seq.).
Derived from Virginia Register Volume 32, Issue 21, eff. August 2, 2016.