9VAC25-210-230. Denial of the VWP permit or variance request.
A. The board shall make a decision to tentatively deny the VWP permit or variance request if the requirements of this chapter are not met. Basis for denial include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. The project will result in violations of water quality standards or will impair the beneficial uses of state waters.
2. As a result of project implementation, shellfish waters would be condemned in accordance with 9VAC25-260.
3. The project that the applicant proposed fails to adequately avoid and minimize impacts to state waters to the maximum extent practicable.
4. The proposed compensatory mitigation plan is insufficient or unsatisfactory for the proposed impacts and fails to achieve no net loss of existing wetland acreage and function and no net loss of functions in all surface waters.
5. The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries indicates that natural or stockable trout waters would be permanently and negatively impacted by the proposed activity.
6. The proposed activity is prohibited by 9VAC25-210-50.
7. The effect of project impacts, together with other existing or proposed impacts to wetlands, will cause or contribute to a significant impairment of state waters or fish and wildlife resources.
9. The board determines that the applicant for an Emergency Virginia Water Protection Permit has not demonstrated that there is a substantial threat to public health and safety, and that normal Virginia Water Protection Permit procedures, including public comment provisions, should be followed.
B. The applicant shall be notified by letter of the board's preliminary decision to tentatively deny the VWP permit requested.
C. Should the applicant withdraw his application, no VWP permit or variance will be issued.
D. Should the applicant elect to proceed as originally proposed, the board may deny the application and advise the applicant pursuant to § 62.1-44.15:02 of the Code of Virginia of his right to a public hearing to consider the denial.
§ 62.1-44.15 of the Code of Virginia; § 401 of the Clean Water Act (33 USC § 1251 et seq.).
Derived from VR680-15-02 § 4.6, eff. May 20, 1992; amended, Virginia Register Volume 17, Issue 21, eff. August 1, 2001; Volume 23, Issue 21, eff. July 25, 2007; Volume 32, Issue 21, eff. August 2, 2016.