9VAC25-20-145. Discounted permit maintenance fees for Environmental Excellence Program participants.
A. The term "Virginia Environmental Excellence Program" (VEEP) means a voluntary program established by the department to provide public recognition and regulatory incentives to encourage higher levels of environmental performance for program participants that develop and implement Environmental Management Systems (EMS). The program is based on the use of EMSs that improve compliance, prevent pollution, and utilize other measures to improve environmental performance.
B. Participants in the VEEP shall be eligible for reduced annual permit maintenance fees. The VEEP includes the Environmental Enterprise (E2) level of participation and the Exemplary Environmental Enterprise (E3) level of participation.
C. Annual permit maintenance fee discounts will not become effective until 2005. The availability of discounts to the annual permit maintenance fees will be dependent upon acceptance and continued participation in the VEEP.
D. Eligibility for reduced annual permit maintenance fees shall be based upon the department's review of the annual report that is required to be submitted by the VEEP. The department shall review annual reports to verify that facilities continue to meet VEEP criteria prior to offering discounted annual permit maintenance fees.
1. The participant's annual report must reflect activities occurring through December 31 and must satisfy all reporting requirements established in the VEEP.
2. Annual reports must be received at the department's central office by April 1 of the following year to be eligible for a reduction of the annual permit maintenance fees.
3. The annual report must list all regulated and permitted activities included within the scope of the facility's Environmental Management System.
4. A participant's level of participation will be evaluated as of December 31 of each calendar year.
E. If a facility participated in the VEEP but participation in the program was terminated, discounted fees will not be available to participants until they have been reaccepted into the VEEP.
F. Participants at the E2 level of participation will be eligible to receive a discount to annual permit maintenance fees for up to a maximum of three years.
G. Prior to distributing bills for annual permit maintenance fees, the department shall calculate the discounted annual permit maintenance fees. The total amount of all facilities' discounts to water annual permit maintenance fees shall not exceed $64,000 annually.
1. The total of a 5.0% discount for each participant at the E3 level of participation and a 2.0% discount for each participant at the E2 level of participation shall be calculated.
2. If the calculated total of the discounts to annual permit maintenance fees would exceed $64,000, annual permit maintenance fees for participants at the E3 level of participation shall be discounted 2.0%, additional discounts of annual permit maintenance fees for participants at the E3 level of participation shall not be available, and annual permit maintenance fees for participants at the E2 level of participation shall not be discounted.
3. If the calculated total of the discounts to annual permit maintenance fees would not exceed $64,000, annual permit maintenance fees for participants at the E3 level of participation shall be discounted 5.0%, annual permit maintenance fees for participants at the E2 level of participation shall be discounted 2.0%, and a larger discount may be provided for participants at the E3 level of participation, based upon direct program costs and program revenues, not to exceed a total discount of 20%. The total of all discounts shall not exceed $64,000. Any additional discounted fees will be calculated as follows:
(Total program revenues in the previous fiscal year minus direct program costs for the previous fiscal year) multiplied by 0.75 equals the additional discounts to be distributed to program participants. Additional discounts will be distributed to participants at the E3 level of participation in equal whole percentages.
4. If the calculated total of all facilities' discounts to annual fees exceeds $64,000, the department shall reevaluate the discounts offered to VEEP participants and shall begin the regulatory process to revise the discounts offered to VEEP participants.
§ 62.1-44.15:6 of the Code of Virginia.
Derived from Virginia Register Volume 20, Issue 23, eff. July 1, 2004.