The words and terms used in this chapter shall have the meanings defined in the State Water Control Law and 9VAC25-31 (VPDES Permit Regulation) unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, except that for the purposes of this chapter:
"Construction equipment" means trenchers, backhoes, boring equipment, bulldozers, loaders, dump trucks, and any other piece of earth moving equipment.
"Department" or "DEQ" means the Department of Environmental Quality.
"Laundry" means any self-service facility where the washing of clothes is conducted as designated by SIC 7215. It does not include facilities that engage in dry cleaning.
"Maintenance equipment" means street sweepers and catch basin cleaner trucks.
"Total maximum daily load" or "TMDL" means a calculation of the maximum amount of a pollutant that a waterbody can receive and still meet water quality standards and an allocation of that amount to the pollutant's sources. A TMDL includes wasteload allocations (WLAs) for point source discharges, and load allocations (LAs) for nonpoint sources or natural background or both, and must include a margin of safety (MOS) and account for seasonal variations.
"Vehicle maintenance" means vehicle and equipment rehabilitation, mechanical repairs, painting, fueling, and lubrication.
"Vehicle wash" means any fixed or mobile facility where the manual, automatic, or self-service exterior washing of vehicles is conducted and includes the following:
1. Vehicles that convey passengers or goods on streets or highways as designated by Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Code 7542 such as automobiles, trucks, motor homes, buses, motorcycles, ambulances, fire trucks, and tractor trailers;
2. Incidental floor cleaning wash waters associated with facilities that wash vehicles where the floor wash water also passes through the vehicle wash treatment system;
3. Golf course equipment and lawn maintenance equipment;
4. Maintenance and construction equipment; and
5. Recreational boats less than 8.6' beam and 25' in length towed by a vehicle.
"Vehicle wash" does not mean engine cleaning or degreasing; the cleaning of floors in vehicle maintenance areas, cleaning of the interior of tanks or trailers carrying bulk or raw material, cleaning of equipment used in the paving industry, cleaning of chemical spreading equipment, or cleaning of tanker trucks, garbage trucks, livestock trailers, trains, boats larger than 8.6' beam and 25' in length, or aircraft; or the use of acid caustic metal brighteners or steam heated water.
§ 62.1-44.15 of the Code of Virginia; § 402 of the Clean Water Act; 40 CFR Parts 122, 123, and 124.
Derived from Virginia Register Volume 13, Issue 26, eff. October 15, 1997; amended, Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 19, eff. October 15, 2002; Volume 28, Issue 18, eff. October 16, 2012; Volume 33, Issue 26, eff. October 16, 2017.