9VAC25-110-60. Authorization to discharge.
A. Any owner of a treatment works governed by this general permit is hereby authorized to discharge treated domestic sewage to surface waters of the Commonwealth of Virginia provided that:
1. The owner submits a registration statement, if required to do so, in accordance with 9VAC25-110-70 and that registration statement is accepted by the board. For an individual single family dwelling, the owner may submit a combined application in place of a registration statement;
2. The owner complies with the effluent limitations and other requirements of 9VAC25-110-80; and
3. The board has not notified the owner, in accordance with subsection B of this section, that the discharge is not eligible for coverage under this permit.
B. The board will notify an owner that the discharge is not eligible for coverage under this permit in the event of any of the following:
1. The owner is required to obtain an individual VPDES permit in accordance with 9VAC25-31-170 B 3 of the VPDES Permit Regulation;
2. The owner is proposing to discharge to surface waters specifically named in other board regulations that prohibit such discharges;
3. The owner is proposing to discharge to surface waters in an area where there are central sewage facilities reasonably available, as determined by the board;
4. The owner of any proposed treatment works or any treatment works that has not previously been issued a VPDES permit has applied to the Virginia Department of Health for an onsite sewage disposal system permit, and the Virginia Department of Health has determined that an onsite system is available to serve that parcel of land;
5. The discharge would violate the antidegradation policy stated in 9VAC25-260-30 of the Virginia Water Quality Standards; or
6. The discharge is not consistent with the assumptions and requirements of an approved TMDL.
C. Compliance with this general permit constitutes compliance, for purposes of enforcement, with the federal Clean Water Act §§ 301, 302, 306, 307, 318, 403, and 405 (a) through (b), and the State Water Control Law, with the exceptions stated in 9VAC25-31-60 of the VPDES Permit Regulation. Approval for coverage under this general VPDES permit does not relieve any owner of the responsibility to comply with any other applicable federal, state or local statute, ordinance or regulation, including, for owners of sewage treatment works that serve individual single family dwellings, the Alternative Discharging Sewage Treatment Regulations for Individual Single Family Dwellings (12VAC5-640) of the Virginia Department of Health adopted pursuant to §§ 32.1-12, 32.1-163, and 32.1-164 of the Code of Virginia and, for owners of sewage treatment works that serve buildings or dwellings other than individual single family dwellings, the Sewage Collection and Treatment Regulations (9VAC25-790) adopted by the State Water Control Board pursuant to § 62.1-44.19 of the Code of Virginia.
D. Continuation of permit coverage.
1. Any owner that was authorized to discharge under the domestic sewage discharges general permit issued in 2011 and who is required to and submits a complete registration statement, or for an individual single family dwelling a combined application, on or before August 1, 2016, is authorized to continue to discharge treated domestic sewage under the terms of the 2011 general permit until such time as the board either:
a. Issues coverage to the owner under this general permit; or
b. Notifies the owner that the discharge is not eligible for coverage under this general permit.
2. When the owner that was covered under the expiring or expired general permit has violated or is violating the conditions of that permit, the board may choose to do any or all of the following:
a. Initiate enforcement action based upon the 2011 general permit;
b. Issue a notice of intent to deny coverage under the reissued general permit. If the general permit coverage is denied, the owner would then be required to cease the discharges authorized by the administratively continued coverage under the terms of the 2011 general permit or be subject to enforcement action for operating without a permit;
c. Issue an individual permit with appropriate conditions; or
d. Take other actions authorized by the VPDES Permit Regulation (9VAC25-31).
§ 62.1-44.15 of the Code of Virginia; § 402 of the Clean Water Act; 40 CFR Parts 122, 123, and 124.
Derived from VR680-14-09 § 6, eff. July 1, 1992; amended, Virginia Register Volume 12, Issue 19, eff. August 1, 1996; Volume 17, Issue 16, eff. August 1, 2001; Volume 22, Issue 4, eff. November 30, 2005; Volume 27, Issue 12, eff. August 2, 2011; Volume 32, Issue 13, eff. August 2, 2016.