In developing its findings of fact and recommendations with respect to a proposed annexation, the commission shall consider the information, data, and factors listed in this section. Any city or town filing notice with the commission that it proposes to annex territory shall submit with the notice data and other evidence responsive to each element listed in this section that it deems relevant to the proposed annexation. Any voters or property owners filing notice pursuant to § 15.2-2907 of the Code of Virginia with the commission seeking annexation to a municipality shall submit with the notice data and other evidence responsive to each element listed in this section that they deem relevant to the proposed annexation, except that subdivision 1 of this section is required to be included in the notice filed with the commission.
1. A written metes and bounds description of the boundaries of the area proposed for annexation having, as a minimum, sufficient certainty to enable a layman to identify the proposed new boundary. The description may make reference to readily identifiable monuments such as public roads, rivers, streams, railroad rights of way, and similar discernible physical features.
2. A map or maps showing (i) the boundaries of the area proposed for annexation and their geographic relationship to existing political boundaries; (ii) identifiable unincorporated communities, (iii) major streets, highways, schools, and other major public facilities, (iv) significant geographic features, including mountains and bodies of water; (v) existing uses of the land, including residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural; and (vi) information deemed relevant as to the possible future use of the property within the area sought for annexation.
3. A land-use table showing both the acreage and percentage of land currently devoted to the various categories of land use in the municipality, the county, and the area proposed for annexation.
4. The past, the estimated current, and the projected population of the municipality, the county affected by the proposed annexation, and the area of the county proposed for annexation.
5. The past, the estimated current, and the projected future number of public school students enrolled in the public schools and the number of school-age children living in the municipality, the county affected by the proposed annexation, and the area of the county proposed for annexation.
6. The assessed property values, by major classification, and if appropriate, the ratios of assessed values to true values for real property, personal property, machinery and tools, merchants' capital, and public service corporation property for the current year and the preceding 10 years for the municipality, and the county affected by the proposed annexation, and similar data for the current year for the area of the county proposed for annexation.
7. The current local property and nonproperty tax rates and the tax rates for the preceding 10 years, applicable within the municipality, the county affected by the proposed annexation, and the area of the county proposed for annexation.
8. The estimated current local revenue collections and intergovernmental aid, the collections and aid for the previous 10 years, and projections of the collections and aid (including tax receipts from real property, personal property, machinery and tools, merchants' capital, business and professional license, consumer utility and sales taxes) within the municipality, and the county affected by the proposed annexation, and similar data for the past year for the area of the county proposed for annexation.
9. The amount of long-term indebtedness and the purposes for which all long-term debt has been incurred by the municipality and the county affected by the proposed annexation.
10. The need in the area proposed for annexation for urban services, including but not limited to those listed below, the level of services provided by the municipality and by the county affected by the proposed annexation, and the ability of the municipality and the county to provide the services in the area proposed for annexation:
a. Sewage treatment;
c. Solid waste collection and disposal;
d. Public planning;
e. Subdivision regulation and zoning;
f. Crime prevention and detection;
g. Fire prevention and protection;
h. Public recreational facilities;
i. Library facilities;
j. Curbs, gutters, and sidewalks;
k. Storm drains;
l. Street lighting;
m. Snow removal;
n. Street maintenance;
p. Housing; and
q. Public transportation.
11. Efforts made by the municipality and the county affected by the proposed annexation to comply with applicable state policies with respect to environmental protection, public planning, education, public transportation, housing, and other state service policies promulgated by the General Assembly.
12. The community of interest which (i) may exist between the municipality and the area proposed for annexation and its citizens and which (ii) may exist between that area and its citizens and the rest of the county; the term "community of interest" may include, but not be limited to, consideration of natural neighborhoods, natural and manmade boundaries, the similarity of service needs, and economic and social bonds.
13. Any arbitrary prior refusal to cooperate by the governing body of the municipality or of the county affected by the proposed annexation, if such has occurred, to enter into cooperative agreements providing for joint activities which would have benefited citizens of both localities.
14. The need for the municipality to expand its tax resources, including its real estate and personal property tax base.
15. The need of the municipality to obtain land for industrial, commercial, and residential development.
16. The adverse effect on the county affected by the proposed annexation resulting from the loss of areas suitable and developable for industrial, commercial, or residential use.
17. The adverse effect on the county of the loss of tax resources and public facilities necessary to provide services to those persons in the remaining areas of the county after the proposed annexation.
18. The adverse impact of the proposed annexation on agricultural operations located in the area proposed for annexation.
19. The terms and conditions upon which the municipality proposes to annex, its plans for the improvement of the annexed territory during the 10-year period following annexation, including the extension of public utilities and other services, and the means by which the municipality shall finance the improvements and extension of services.
20. Data pertinent to a determination of the appropriate financial settlement between the municipality and the affected county as required by § 15.2-3211 of the Code of Virginia and other applicable provisions of the Code of Virginia.
21. The commission's staff shall endeavor to assist parties contemplating or involved in annexation proceedings by identifying additional data elements considered by the commission to be relevant in the disposition of annexation issues.
§ 15.2-2903 of the Code of Virginia.
Derived from VR445-01-02 § 4.1, eff. November 1, 1984; amended, Virginia Register Volume 22, Issue 26, eff. October 4, 2006.